Wednesday 25 June 2014

Samyang 10 mm 1:2.8 with Focal Reducer x0.7 [EF > m4/3] - first impressions

In my search for perfect ultra-wide angle lens I came across Samyang 10/2.8. It's relatively new on the market, but already astonishing. It's supposed to be very wide even without Focal Reducer and very fast at the same time. But hey, if you're using M4/3 camera with tiny sensor, you should demand the widest and the brightest you can get. So let's push the lens to it's limits and mount it on Focal Reducer 0.72x!

Samyang 10/2.8 (Canon EF mount) with Focal Reducer 0.72x on Micro Four Thirds full sensor (aspect ratio 4:3).
Samyang 10/2.8 (Canon EF mount) with Focal Reducer 0.72x on Micro Four Thirds full sensor (aspect ratio 4:3).

But firstly... Why Samyang over Tokina 11-16/2.8 zoom?

Should you give up the comfort of adjusting/zooming your field of view at least a little bit? Why choose a fully manual prime lens? For those Micro Four Thirds users - there's an answer and it is: FULLY MANUAL.
If you read my description of Tokina 11-16/2.8 you'll realise the biggest flaw of the lens is lack of aperture control. Sure, most of the time f2.8 is good enough, but there might be situations, where you need a really sharp image or a huge depth of field. So why give it up, when Samyang gives it to you? How? - you'll ask.

And my answer is - don't zoom, but switch the adapter!
When you mount it on Focal Reducer, you'll get amazing 7 mm 1:2.0, which is an eq. of 14 mm for Full Frame sensor/film. But if you mount on a typical EF > M4/3 adapter, you'll get an eq. of 20 mm for FF, f 2.8 - still pretty wide!
And all that with total aperture control - from f2.8 to f22! I don't know how about you, but I was amazed, when I figured that out. I couldn't wait to test Samyang...

MFT sensor coverage

I was so anxious when I entered the shop and lady gave me the lens. Funny thing, I asked for Canon EF mount and she brought me one, when I'd put my Lumix out on the table. Boy, was she confused! :)
Then I attached the lens to Focal Reducer and then the whole combo to my camera and there was the moment of truth! Is it going to cover full Micro Four Thirds sensor? Switch to ON and... SUCCESS!
It covers absolutely whole sensor of Lumix G2 with Focal Reducer, even though it was designed for APS sensors. You just can't imagine my excitement!

Samyang 10/2.8 (Canon EF mount) with Focal Reducer 0.72x on Micro Four Thirds full sensor (aspect ratio 4:3).
Samyang 10/2.8 (Canon EF mount) with Focal Reducer 0.72x on Micro Four Thirds full sensor (aspect ratio 4:3).
Lens hood visible.
In fact Samyang 10/2.8 is so wide, it can see it's own hood. As I was told it's the first edition with not removable hood. Newer versions shouldn't have that problem - you'll remove the hood and everything's fine.
This problem occurs only when you shoot in 4:3 aspect ratio (full sensor). If you switch to 3:2 or even 16:9 or filming - problem's gone! In case you insisted on using full sensor you know what to do with your X-acto knife ;)

I couldn't find a white wall to check vignetting. I can see there is some, but appears more delicate than Tokina 11-16/2.8. Further photos don't show it properly - there was by far too much difference of light between the shop and the passage.

The lens itself

I was to excited to take some shots of Saymang 10/2.8 itself. I can assure you it worked properly. Lens isn't the smallest one, but its ergonomics make using it a pleasure. It's solid, it's comfortable and it's ultra-wide!

Comparison to Olympus Zuiko 12-60 mm 1:2.8-4.0

That Oly Zuiko is the widest lens I have. It's great universal lens to walk about, but that's the other story.
Let's go! Samples! Everyone loves samples!

Camera: Lumix G2
Aperture: 2.8 
Mount: EF > micro 4/3
Edit: PS CS6 RAW development & 50% scaling

Olympus Zuiko 12-60 mm 1:2.8-4.0 @12/2.8
Olympus Zuiko 12-60 mm 1:2.8-4.0 @12/2.8
Samyang 10/2.8 (Canon EF mount) with Focal Reducer 0.72x (aspect ratio 3:2) @2.8
Samyang 10/2.8 (Canon EF mount) with Focal Reducer 0.72x (aspect ratio 3:2) @2.8
Isn't the difference stunning!? And remember you get lens as fast as f2.0! So marvellous for theatre, ballet and performance photographers, where every EV step is priceless.

Olympus Zuiko 12-60 mm 1:2.8-4.0 @12/2.8
Olympus Zuiko 12-60 mm 1:2.8-4.0 @12/2.8
Samyang 10/2.8 (Canon EF mount) with Focal Reducer 0.72x (aspect ratio 3:2) @2.8
Samyang 10/2.8 (Canon EF mount) with Focal Reducer 0.72x (aspect ratio 3:2) @2.8
I wish I had more time with that lens to work. My Focal Reducer wasn't set up properly. One important thing is that you have to adjust optical element inside. And when I had Tokina in my hands I've spent about half an hour adjusting it properly. I tested Samyang in a shop, so I didn't want to bother the staff with long-lasting adjustments. Therefore I don't know YET how close you can focus.

Finally, I was able to take one close-up shot.

Samyang 10/2.8 (Canon EF mount) with Focal Reducer 0.72x (aspect ratio 3:2) @2.8 - close-up
Samyang 10/2.8 (Canon EF mount) with Focal Reducer 0.72x (aspect ratio 3:2) @2.8 - close-up

Conclusion - Samyang 10/2.8

My, oh my! I'm in love :)
The lens is lovely and I was able to test it for about 15 minutes. If you have the possibility - please, take your camera, your Focal Reducer and go for it. It's just the first impression, but I'm sure it's worth it!

Now I'm wishing to have the opportunity to make a full field test.

No comments:

Post a Comment